So why is it that the "holiday" that requires walking around town with three children has to happen in the fall, with the wind and the rain and before the time change so it is dark by 6:00 pm. Who decided this? Why can't Halloween be in August when you have those nice long summer days and when walking around at 6pm would be an enjoyable act? Instead, my toes are numb and cold, my pants are drenched, my coat is soaked right through (we weren't going to go in the rain... it just waited to down pour until we had just turned the corner off the main street to walk the TEN blocks back to where we parked the frickin' van)... Of course, no complaints from the kids. They are so hyped up on sugar that now that it is crash and burn time, they will sleep well in their sugar induced comas.
Although, I think I saw more people tonight than at the annual Summerfest activities. All of them, walking the streets along with their children. Some of them dressed up, almost beyond recognition. I do enjoy Halloween. I know there is all sorts of "debate" on the whole "holiday" be it religious or extremely non-religious; however, I think it is what you make out of it. I'm not celebrating anything unholy, I'm out freezing my butt off in this lovely fall weather, spending some actual quality time (walking and talking between houses - even in the rain - was a rare pleasure to share with my kids), and stockpiling our cabinets with candy that will last until the Easter bunny brings the next truck load.
So anyway, here's the three kiddos (after 2 hours in the rain so most of the costumes were off by this point - someone remind me next year to get the BEFORE picture)... Happy Halloween everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment