My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Talking Stove...

I just had a little light bulb hanging above my head! A great idea! Why hasn't someone invented a talking stove? Because for me, in my multi-tasking world... I need a talking stove. Because I can't even count the number of times I've turned on the wrong burner without realizing it and tried to start a fire, because in my kitchen there is always something sitting on the other three burners. Last time it was a leftover plate of pancakes that got burned to a crisp, this time it was just the empty pan that I hadn't intended to use just yet. The problem is that I am so accustomed to that smell, that nice hot, something is burning smell, that I don't notice it quick enough. And, when I do, for god's sake - don't grab a hold of the pan or the plate (whatever it is I happen to be burning) without a HOT PAD!

So why hasn't someone invented a stove that says, "You have turned on the right front burner. Please make sure the pan you want to use is on the right front burner. Please make sure your freshly washed hand towel is not on the right front burner as I am a new stove and do not want to be destroyed in your house fire just yet. Thank you." Or, how about this, "Your oven has been on for four hours at a temperature of 350 degrees. At this time, I think whatever it was you intended to cook - unless it's Thanksgiving - is completely and utterly destroyed or you have left me turned on just to make sure that I do work. If that is the case, yes I work and I am hot and tired of being at 350 degrees, if not, then please remove your disastrous cooking experiment from the oven area and place it directly in the garbage."

Of course, if and when I ever get time to make a really good meal, well then it would also be programmed to say, "You have just won mother of the week for working, being mom and still having time and energy to make this fabulous 3 course meal that is packed full of all the necessary vitamins and minerals. It has been an honor to cook with you." Yes, a talking stove with a little attitude would do me a world of good.

And yes, while I was blogging away, I realized that the front right burner has been on for 2 hours past dinner time. I managed to put the extra chili in a tupperware bowl and store it in the fridge, but that burner just doesn't speak up and say, "hello, this is your right front burner letting you know that I am still on and making sure that all of the extra chili is cooked right into your pan for extra duty cleaning. Have a nice night."

No comments: