So, the other night I had like three different, incredible blog ideas... but life happened. Namely, Robby Jay.... he decided mom hadn't played enough with him lately and that I needed to "play a game." That game ended up being Lincoln Logs and race cars on the floor for an hour and a half.
Now, I love playing on the floor, and I really don't do it often enough, but why do kids insist on building this great, fantastic, marvelous masterpiece of wood. You use all the lincoln logs available and even make a trip back to the bedroom for more, and then... then... you knock it down! And, what is really great, is that in the mind of this incredible 3 (3 and don't forget the 1/2) year old, the knocking down is better than all the building. I can put in fancy rooms with windows and make doors and even add a roof, and in the end, "whoosh" it all comes tumbling down in a burst of glory. And then, all of a sudden, it was time to put them away and play race cars. But, oh, don't try to keep the house together when you put it back in the tote, that's no good to have it pre-assembled for the next lincoln log session. I tried, believe me, I tried to save that masterpiece that I sat on the floor for so long to make (so long that I had numb feet and legs from sitting there), but I tried in vain. The "destructinator" (Robby Jay) decided "Mom, no... you can't leave it together" and then he decided to make sure by conveniently sticking his big boy foot in the tub and smashing my labor of love to pieces... but it brought a smile to his face.
But then, next was the race cars.... Now why is it that with race cars, you have to line up 100 different cars across my living room floor (on carpet nonetheless) and then feel completely helpless when this same 3 and 1/2 yr old decides "ready, set, go..." and you can't push 100 cars all at one time to make them race. How was I supposed to do this? I had to try and think quick, because the "Mommy can do it" look was on his face.... Of course, it was really only like 15 - 20 cars, but when you are suddenly challenged to race them all at once, it seems like a 100. The quick thinking failed me, and I have to admit mommy did not know the answer to this one... So, what did this quick (rather, not so quick) thinking mom do? I bailed, I distracted, I tried the "which one do you think will win?" and the "guess which one is mommy's favorite?" But it was all to no avail. Robby wanted to race... So, what do you do? I am ashamed to say, at 10:30 at night, I bribed my way out of race cars with the option of watching "Barnyard" instead. Who wouldn't rather here a cow sing Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down"? I know it seemed like the better option to me!
But back to the beginning of my blog, being that I did originally, three nights ago, have some really good ideas to blog about, but I lost them. They are somewhere in the neverland of my mind, buried under lincoln logs and race cars, and some night, I'm sure I will be wide awake at 3 am and those ideas will hit me all of a sudden, and maybe, just maybe I will have the energy to drag my weary self out of bed and blog those three good ideas that I once had... But, instead of those great blogs that I know I had... you get lincoln logs and race cars instead!
2 comments:
OH MY GOSH Val, I love this post. That was so adorable. Your writing is just great. I felt like I was right there with you, your son and the Lincoln Log and Race cars. The whole story is great. I love the part of not being able to put the house away still intact. Your son sounds like a great lil man. I have a 3 (and that 1/2) year old myself. Your Robby sounds a great deal like my Lathan. Such a fun age.
Val: Great to see simple toys are still entertaining even with all the modern advances. When you have a chance, ask me about the game my Uncle Jimmy and I used to play with the little plastic Army men and marbles.
You and Darrell have sweet children.
Sam
Post a Comment