My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Friday, February 6, 2009

TriAthlons...

Have you ever ran one? I haven't, but I think I am on the edge of signing up for this craziness. I think my old roommate at CMU convinced me I'd be good at it (meaning of course that she doesn't think I'll die from it), and my sister (the crazy one that already runs full out marathons, including the Boston) is up for trying it as well and training with me, or should I say, helping me train, and promising to pull me out of the pool if I sink rather than swim.

My idea of exercise is doing lunges while I wait for the microwave or toe raises while I do dishes. A couple nights a week I actually make it to the gym to spend a good 45 minutes doing some type of cardio and some light weights, but this means I have to COMMIT myself to an actual program. Since the first leg of a tri is the swim, I definitely would have to start swimming, because as my old roomie said, "not drowning is good motivation to train." Then, the bike race, I'm born and raised in the "rural" area (aka - country girl); however, I hate snakes and being lost in the woods, so being on a 10 mile bike ride in the back area of a Y camp is also good motivation to be able to actually bike the entire 10 miles, because this country girl isn't going to get stranded out there somewhere. Then, lets wrap it all up with a nice little 5k run... Now, I have actually done ONE, yes, just one, of these before. And I did survive, it wasn't as bad as I thought; however, can I do all three within the same 2 hour (or less if I was really good) time span??

Do I spend the $65 and sign up and COMMIT (having been married for 14 years you wouldn't think that was such a scary word, but this is crazy exercise we are talking about, not love, and while I enjoy a nice little workout, I'm not sure I love it...) to putting myself through this test of endurance, or maybe it's not even endurance, maybe a triathlon is what all crazy working moms do... You know, 1/2 hour of laundry, 1/2 hour of vacumming, 1/2 hour of dishes, etc... However, this tri would get me out of the house...

So the debate in my head rages... to Tri or not to Tri, that is the question...

5 comments:

Angela V. said...

You are a brave woman! Go for it!

Kristina said...

As if you're not busy enough? It makes me hurt just thinking about it! Then again, if I was in the shape you are, I might consider something that crazy too :-) If you do it, I'll be rootin' for ya!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Good luck with that!

Denise said...

Just checked out your blog and when I read that post I laughed - well, snorted first! - out loud! Good gracious! Have fun, sounds like you have a sense of humor to get thru it. And it probably is a good idea to not drown in the swimming part of it! Thanks for checking out Life with Four Boys...Coffee Pleaee! Checking out your blog today has got me giggling for the rest of the night!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! You can do it!