"A child enters your home and makes so much noise for twenty years that you can hardly stand it: then departs leaving the house so silent that you think you will go mad."
John Andrew Holmes
We decided this weekend that we would purchase the UFC fight on PPV for my husband and his friends so they could watch and play some cards. The night continually expanded, no complaining, I love my friends. By the time the night got here, my house was FULL. We counted 17 adults and 22 (yes twenty two) kids!
Our house isn't huge by any means, but I guess it is well designed for this. I had a couple people mention that maybe we should do a "kids free" evening... but really, it wasn't too bad. Yes, there were about 4 times that I was shot with a Nerf dart, and there were crumbs everywhere upstairs. But Nerf darts don't hurt, and crumbs vacuum well. And it was all good... I think I only had to get after one of my kids one single time. They all shared well, they played well, and they had a blast. The girls "locked" themselves into my daughter's room, where the sign on the outside clearly stated "GIRLS ONLY" and "NO BOYS ALLOWED", and thus they avoided being shot up by Nerf darts as well. And, as a bonus, there was no girl "drama" during the evening. Which is always a bonus with girls the ages of 3 - 12 involved. However, the boys did rule the evening, my youngest sons vast collection of Nerf guns conquered the evening. There was really no place off limits and they chased each other all night long. There was some wrestling, video games, wii sports, and some hide n seek involved as well. And when the girls did show themselves the boys quickly made haste to try and see what the "secrecy" was about...
I think the evening went well. I love having my kids home with us. I don't like pawning them off on a sitter if we are at home. Plus, if I was to limit the invite to adults only, then most of the wives/moms wouldn't come. They would just send their hubbies. Or, if they did make it, they have to pay a baby sitter. I like my husband's friends, but I like their wives better! There was some good "girl talk" going on, and it is always nice just to sit back and visit, while knowing that the kids are having a good time and within "grabbing" distance, if the need arises!
So, while mass confusion seemed to abound if you were someone walking in from the calm outside, it really was a peaceful evening at home, less a few Nerf shots...
1 comment:
Whoa! I can't imagine that many people in my house, even if it was bigger. I don't do well in mass confusion, but it still sounds like fun!
Post a Comment