My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Back to School??

I was caught completely off guard tonight, and was not expecting the phone call that I received... Spring Arbor University called and had a scholarship offer for 25% off my tuition if I start NEXT WEEK! I've been wanting to go back, to finish what I started so many years ago. It will take me 14 months. That's it. 14 months of going one night a week and I will have my bachelor's degree in Business Management and Development. I will be 34 years old next week and headed back to school??

I have no good reason to NOT do this. My work will pay for $5,250.00 a year in tuition. Since the 14 months is spread out over 2 years I think I will be able to take advantage of the full amount for two years. and then the scholarship will knock off another $3800 leaving me with a total out of pocket cost of $1200. And, the enrollment girl thinks I can still apply for grants and other scholarships... So my $15,500.00 tuition just got knocked down to $1,200.00.

What do I have to lose? Other than 4 hours, for one night a week for 61 weeks. My 100 credits that I already have stored away from those long ago days, might actually be put to use after all! I'm still amazed... I kept putting it off, trying to wait for the "right" time, but there is never a right time. I will always be working, and always have "kids" stuff to go to or help at, and I'll always have something on the back burner that I think needs to be done first. But the truth is, that in less than 6 years my son will be in college and I'll be helping him with tuition, and then my daughter the following year. And how can you turn down 2 semesters of tuition that will cost just $1,200.00? Even if I have to save, scrimp and beg for that $1,200.00...

Wow... I feel like I need to go school shopping! I'm nervous and scared, yet excited and still in awe. I had prayed about this decision before, when I first applied, but it didn't seem right, I had too many excuses to come up with, but now... I have none. And if I did come up with some excuse I think it would be something made up totally out of fear! I am just awed at how God works in our lives, how he opens doors when we don't think there is a door at all, and whammy, out of nowhere, a door is right there in front of us, wide open, with a great big welcome mat... If He brings us to it, He'll bring us through it? Right? Isn't that what we've been told ... He'll give me the strength to work full-time, raise three kids, be a good wife, and a straight A student, and maybe, just maybe the extra strength for that triathlon (Of course, now I am worried about fitting in that triathlon? I was a scholar athlete before, but not sure I can do that at 34?!) ...

Faith, we, I, just need to have Faith. Faith that He opened this door at a time when I am capable of walking through it. I have a job that will let me work at home the whole day before I have to go to school that night; I have kids are old enough to help, and I have a husband whose main opinion is that if I do it, I have to try and be the best (there is no half @ss attempts in our house - same with the triathlon - if you are in it, you are in it to win it).

So, unless the world falls out below me, or I find out there is some catch with my work paying for it, it does appear that next week, it will be BACK TO SCHOOL for me!

3 comments:

Carmen O. said...

You can do it! I went back to school around your age now. The company I worked for closed up and that was one of the options to go back to school and it was paid for. My ex worked 2nd shift, the boys were 7 and 4 and one semester I even went to three campuses! I went to classes day and night and worked as a student worker in the Operations Dept. I managed to make Honor Roll which I had never done before in college or high school! Good Luck! PS I'm thinking about going back yet again!

Kristina said...

Wow, that's great Val! I would LOVE an opportunity like this. How could you not take advantage of it? I know you will do great!

Anonymous said...

WOW how did I miss that until just now?? I am so proud of you.. I am one that is teetering on that same decision. Go for it.. 110% just like everything else you do.. I am proud of you!!