My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Thursday, June 12, 2008

This Is Me...


This isn't the best pic of me (before doing the hair and makeup) but this is me in one of my favorite "places" - the early morning quiet, with a book and a cup of coffee!!

So today's blog challenge is to write about yourself. I think that's a hard one. It's hard to be honest sometimes.... Let's see, the basics: I have been married for almost 13 years to my high school sweetheart - our first date was over 17 years ago. I have 3 children that I adore. I work full-time in insurance claims. I am also a consultant for Close To My Heart. I am on the board for our local Youth Athletic Association and for the area football league. I think I am your normal, busy, working mom, who thrives on caffeine (did you see the windstorm blog - without power for 78 hours and figured out you can grill a pot of coffee)...

Where I am in my life? There are definitely things I want to improve. I am working on my spiritual life. I was raised in a Christian (Baptist/Bible) home, my grandfather is a pastor, and I've just realized that as a Christian born into that environment I've come to take it for granted. It hasn't been until recently that I realized how far away I'd "fallen"... the little things like easily missing church services, missing prayer and devotions. It was too easy to send my children with grandma and grandpa to church and for me to try and catch up on all the other things that needed to be done. But, my children are the ones that caught me. The first time I heard, "why do we have to if your not..." and my 4 year old saying, "God likes it when we go to church." I realized I wasn't doing the best spiritually for them. I don't think God cares if I don't take time to clean my house on Sunday as long as I'm living spiritually and raising my children the same way. And it just amazes me that as soon as you turn back to rely on him, you can see his hand and his work/plan taking shape around you.

I am also forever trying to be more organized, I think this has been a New Year's Resolution for every year I can remember (I haven't given up hope yet)! I was not born type A and I don't think my Z (or whatever the complete opposite of type A is) personality will ever completely be able to adopt an organized lifestyle. I like my "organized clutter..." I like clean, but hate to do it. My house is by no means trashed - my husband is way over type A and he won't let it get that far, but there are times I wish I just knew where to start to reorganize the "stuff" that we seem to have collected over the last 13 years. Maybe I'm just a pack rat, I know my kids are and they have to have gotten it from someone.

I also would like to be more financially "smart." I'm not good at budgeting (that probably falls under the above organization thing, too). I've taken classes and I have the book "Managing Our Finances God's Way..." but for some reason I just can't make a checkbook balance or save enough to do things that I dream about.

I would like to be more active. I've always been an active person (more like fitness freak for awhile) but after my last child came along I think I forgot how to exercise... I did run a 5k last year and am planning on doing another one this summer... but I wish I 'had time' to exercise every day, even once a week... I guess that also falls into managing my time and organizing it better...

I would like to be able to tell more people 'NO'... I've never been good at that. And I know that part of the reason I'm always so swamped is because I take on too much and try and fit 48 hours worth of stuff into 24.

Although those are the things I'd like to become better at in my life, I think for the most part I really like who I am. I like that I can enjoy just being... Being in nature, being at home, being alone and being busy. I am pretty content with the person I am and who my life has made me become. And while I will always have things I'd like to change (sometimes I would kill for thick hair) I think I will enjoy just being me. And if I have to hire someone to come organize my life... maybe that's the best option out there for me!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saying No is the hardest lesson to learn in life. I think you have to decide how much stress do you want to deal with. Too much stress is not good, it takes away from you and mostly your family.

LAURA said...

Very insightful writing. I can identify with many things you are dealing with. Glad you are re-entering the "fold." You will see so many blessings and you will bless those around you.

mse006 said...

its very nice getting to know you a little....organization is really about what works for YOU! if you know where it is...then that is all that matters!!!

Angela V. said...

Good luck with all of your endeavors...and enjoy being you!

TanishaRenee said...

you look so cozy in that pic!

Grilling a pot of coffee? Well they say necessity is the mother of invention! LOL!

Ellie said...

I've been working on my spirituality for several years now.

The organizing thing starts every year for me in the beginning for three or four months straight. I throw out or donate a lot of stuff. Just do one room at a time or one area at a time. There are plenty good websites out there for how to get and stay organzied.

Checkbook for me, not a problem, always gets balanced. You just have to make sure that you write everything down and always pay yourself first, thats my savings strategy. Before anyone gets paid I do, straight into the investment account been doing that for years.

I agree with the just being part and taking time for me. Great story, loved it.

Babydoll said...

Found you on another blogger's site. Great blog!! I'll be back. :)

Me said...

..So stinkin wonderful! What a insightful write. I feel like I really know you.

You write well often but this was pretty amazing!

Celena said...

I liked learning more about you...thanks for sharing.

Veroncia Butler said...

It's a pleasure to meet you ValAnn. It's it funny how God uses our little ones to get our attention and help us focus on what's inportant? I have a 5 year old that does the same thing to me.

Chelsea Van Tol said...

budgeting is *so* har, I struggle with that too

Helena said...

WOW, so nice to meet you and you have been so honest, well done you!