There are so many memories that come flooding back when I think about my childhood. Lately, the thoughts that come to mind are how blessed my family was. I believe in my adulthood that I've taken for granted all the small blessings that God bestowed on our family. He helped our family through so many difficult times. My dad was a farmer and then a self-employed contractor, and my mother, bless her heart, was a stay at home mom. Money was tight, debt was large, but God always made sure that we never needed anything. After a total loss house fire, that took place in October, when my mom was due with her fifth child in December, we were taken care of. We had shelter and clothes and luckily a new contractor in the family that was able to rebuild the house.
We always had fun, too. Family vacations were the best. They were mostly camping trips, which meant driving trips with 5 kids plus a couple stragglers that were either friends or cousins that were always there. These trips made for a crowded van of 9 people, but it wasn't ever too crowded. There was your usual sibling bickering, but there were campfire songs, hiking songs, driving games, and plenty of rest stops to get off and just wander around whatever trails happened to be nearby. It's hard to pick a favorite vacation. There was the drive from Michigan to Mt Rushmoe and through South Dakota and the Bad Lands when the temperature reached highs of 110 degrees - did I mention there was no AC working in the camper trailer at that time? Or, the time Dad wanted to take the scenic route to a lighthouse somewhere up north. It was on the map, but we drove down this two trek road, going maybe 20 mph at the most, for over an hour. Dad kept saying if we turn around now it's probably just over the next hill... well we finally turned around and drove that hour back out. What was crazy was that we passed hikers who had parked at the beginning of the two trek... I want to know how long they walked and if the lighthouse really was out there... Or, there was the time we drove the shoreline of the Upper Peninsula along Lake Superior. Definitely the long way back from Copper Harbor, but what a beautiful drive. Dad and Mom were never in a hurry, and I think that's what made it so great. There was always time to explore and wander.
These vacations were blessings. I know my parents had to use credit to pay for them, but we always made it. We always had fun, and I'll always have the memories of those times. Thinking back on all these blessings; how my parents were always able to make ends meet, and take us on vacations, and survive on one income that allowed us to have our mom home with us; makes me realize how much I've taken for granted in my life. My kids have more than I ever would have dreamed of, and looking back, I see that I'm not thankful enough for what we have. And, what I miss, are those simple memories - the campfire stories and songs, relaxing on Sunday afternoons, playing catch in the yard. The simple things that made my childhood what it was. I've been blessed in so many ways, and yet I feel as though I've "wasted" those blessings. I'm always too busy to enjoy them, to busy to take the time to do the simple things.
When I think of my childhood, I think of all the things that I haven't given my children. I think of all the things they've missed out on in the hustle and bustle life we have. I want my children to look back and have memories like mine. I want them to be thankful for all the simple things, not the Wii system, and not a fancy stay at some water/amusement park. I want them to enjoy hiking, biking, fishing, and all of God's gifts that he has given us. I think it's time to take a hike... because we have to "remember the small things in life... for one day you will look back and realize they were the BIG things."
1 comment:
Right on! Great read!
(found you at SBDC)
Post a Comment