I have never heard of such peace and acceptance when facing death. No regrets for things left unfinished, no worries about the "hereafter", just pure acceptance that her fate was planned by God and that he was waiting to lead her home. I can only pray that the same peace would be there for everyone, that everyone could have the faith that she displayed. I know it made me take a second look at my faith and my displays of faith. It made me look at my life and my loved ones and wonder if anyone around me could be capable of the faith that she had.
I came home, and re-read the poem that I've had in my Bible since I first lost someone close to me. It's a poem that I received decades ago at a funeral and I've read it a million times since then. I've shared it with so many people that have lost someone they loved, but I've never thought it applied so much to the person I was reading it for than this time. I wish I knew who the author was...
I'M FREE...
Don't grieve for me for now I'm free,
I followed the path God laid for me.
I took his hand when I heard him call,
I turned my back and left it all.
I should not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way,
I've found my Peace at the close of day.
If my parting has left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Ah yes, these things I too will miss.
Be not burdened with time of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I've savored much,
Good friends, good times, a loved ones touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me,
God wanted me now, he set me free.
No comments:
Post a Comment