My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Tuesday, January 15, 2008

God-Sightings

An amazing eulogy, given by a 19 year old nephew to his aunt, has been on my mind for over a week now. His eulogy was so touching in many ways; however, the reason it has been “haunting” me is simply that it opened my eyes. He spoke of “God-sightings” and how his aunt taught him about them. I had never even heard the phrase before, and in my busy little world, I, unfortunately, had not taken the time to enjoy them when I did experience them.

But this phrase, this term that I had never even heard has changed my world. His interpretation of “God-sightings” was seeing God in the everyday world. Glimpses of God, signs of his work, people doing his work, just seeing His name in a public area, etc… And since being introduced to this phrase, I have had my eyes opened. On the way home from work the following day I was following a Jeep with the license plate LUV4GOD. A couple nights later I was “vegging,” and watching my Thursday night trash TV. However, that trashy programming turned out to be “God-sightings” right there on my television that left me a weeping mess of a viewer. My soapish, Grey’s Anatomy, was about the power of faith healers and how just having faith makes you “feel better.” The song on the radio this morning telling me to "open my heart and mind..." and the words of my almost 4 year old telling me "God likes it when we are nice to people." The crosses I pass on the side of the road everyday to mark the lives lost by someone in an auto accident.

Then there’s those normal little occurrences that have probably occurred many times, but I had never taken time to notice them as being “God-sightings.” The table full of men in the coffee shop being witnessed to by the local pastor; the good deeds that someone at work is doing for another without being asked in anyway; the support system of friends and family in times of need; the call from a friend just when you are feeling lost and alone, and the song on the radio with lyrics that touch your soul when you need it the most. All these little things that had never meant more to me than just religious symbols, are "God-sightings" and his hand in our lives letting us know that he is here.

1 comment:

Polly Herbstreith said...

Val,

God sightings !!!! Are really all around us everyday. Someday we "notice" them and other days we don't. Lately I've been looking for them alot. I'm glad Matt's Euligy touched you in the way that it did. Theresa would be so happy! Thanks for sharing that. I have forwarded your site onto Matt (my nephew) hope that was ok. Matt had an amazing faith! Matt saw Theresa as a "God sighting"....