My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Great Day for some Mud Fun...

My two oldest kids had a youth group "thing" after church this morning, so I promised my youngest some fun time outside. He learned last fall how to ride his bike without the training wheels, and with all this snow he hasn't been able to ride. So, we decided to brave the open road! We live in a rural area, and there's a nice long stretch of road (this is also where I run). Robby wanted to go to the "hill" not up the big hill, but to it, and then come back. This is about 1/2 mile down and another 1/2 mile back. We pulled his bike out of storage, brushed off the cobwebs and hit the open road.

          

We made it past the driveway before the first "wipeout" happened. Don't worry - he gracefully fell to the ground in a dramatic fashion as I caught the handlebars - his helmet is packed away somewhere with all our summer stuff, so I walked along with him. Robby wanted to know if he looked like "roadkill".. he was definitely posing in this photo after his graceful fall to the ground. A couple of times he steered off into the snow banks and gracefully fell into the snow... All the biking and falling made him thirsty, and we were only about 1/4 mile down the road!
 
   

After we turned around at the half mile mark, he really had the hang of it riding home. He did great, and only "purposely" went down one other snow bank. He didn't fall once on the way back - until.....
He asked if he could ride through the mud puddle at the end of our driveway, and being under the full affect of "spring fever" I told him go ahead (what was mom thinking?). So he speeds up to make a splash and before I could get my camera out, he fell smack dab in the middle of it. Being the terrible mother that I am, I doubled over in laughter, and then made him turn around to get a good picture!

   

So we have laundry to do, his shoes need to be washed and dried before school tomorrow! But it was fun, and he keeps asking when we can go again. He wants to try and ride up the hill (and I would like to be able to sprint up it as well - it's a good size hill though!) I told him when he gets stable enough he can be my new running partner - he can bike while I run - but he'll have to be able to make it up the hill!

2 comments:

Angela V. said...

That is one big puddle! I really like that last shot though, it looks cool. My son would love the opportunity to play in that!

Jamie said...

Memories in the making! Love it!!