"Motivation is a fire from within.
If someone else tries to light that fire under you,
chances are it will burn very briefly."
~Stephen Covey~
"Your biggest challenge isn't someone else.
It's the ache in your lungs
It's the ache in your lungs
and the burning in your legs,
and the voice inside you that yells 'CAN'T',
and the voice inside you that yells 'CAN'T',
but you don't listen.
You just push harder.
And then you hear the voice whisper, 'can'.
And you discover that the person you thought you were
is no match for the one you really are."
is no match for the one you really are."
~unknown~
Just had to share these two quotes.... Between trying to be motivated at work (to a job I'm losing in 90 days), at school (only 4 classes left), in the gym (only on week two of that 1/2 marathon training), and at home after all of the above (when I just want to sleep)... I found these two quotes highly inspirational this week. I can't do all of the above for my family and friends, whether they will reap the benefits of them or not, it has to be done for me, and by me, and for reasons that I find acceptable for doing it all.
Same with anything we take on in life. It's nice to try something that someone else thinks you would like, but it's fabulous to do something new that brings you that inspirational spark, that moment that says "AH-HAH!!" Because when that moment hits you, and it will at some point, it becomes crystal clear, and it gives you that afterburn, kick in the bootie, motivational spur in the rear that you needed. You don't need someone else to tell you what you should do, you need the voice in your head to tell you "this is what I want to do..."
Running a marathon may seem to have no direct "benefit" to my children. There are times that I begin to wonder if my time training is taking away valuable time with my family, but on the other hand. If running makes me happy (and believe it or not I've found that it has.... ), brings a settling of nerves and stress, and also boosts my healthy meter, well isn't that beneficial to my kids in the long run? Of course it is, but doing it for them doesn't get me going. Yes I want them to see that you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to, but I want them to see that (as the old football quote goes), you "don't chase your dreams, you run 'em down and tackle them!"
You go after what you want and desire in life, if it drives you, if it brings out something in you that makes you a better person, if it just simply makes you happy... you go after it. You embrace it with both hands and hang on for dear life, because the most wonderfully inspiring loves that I have, aren't an easy walk in the park to hang on to. The wonderfully inspiring things are the ones that you shackle yourself to, brace yourself, and hold on for dear life, because it's going to be a bumpy ride. But I have definitely found that that ride is worth every gut sinking, heart wrenching, nerve shattering moment.
So I am embracing my self motivation. I am embracing that "can do" spirit that I know is in me. I will set the alarm a little early, go to bed a little late, and drink a couple extra ( three, five, maybe ten... ) cups of coffee, and I will hang on to all of my goals. I will accomplish what I set my mind to. Even if means giving my goals a more flexible "finish line," and a plan that is definitely written in pencil with an eraser in hand. But keeping the goals, regardless of any variations, is what I intend to do. Besides, aren't variations and flexibility part of the fun?
Enough of the self-motivational speech... Time to get up off the couch, run a few miles, do some more laundry, finish up work, make dinner, and visit with friends, all part of my plan of course...
2 comments:
"It's nice to try something that someone else thinks you would like, but it's fabulous to do something new that brings you that inspirational spark, that moment that says "AH-HAH!!"
This is SO true. I try to be open to adventure of all sorts, but I find the most joy when trying something that I have set a goal out to do, and get to check it off of my list...whether I was successful or not.
Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.
Post a Comment