My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Let Me Count the Reasons...

After today's morning run, which was a really good one for me, I felt so good. It was definitely one of those runs that was invigorating and exhausting all at the same time. Getting ready to shower, I realized that my toe nail was bleeding? I couldn't feel it, it hadn't bothered me during the run, but there it was, blood all over my toes. Then it occurred to me, that maybe, just maybe, I can really call myself a runner now if my shoes are giving me bloody toe nails! I'm sure that sounds incredibly gross to some of you. I remember my roommate in college saying she knew she had the right soccer shoes when her toe nails turned black (now I would not go this far). Now, my shoes are not new, I've had them for awhile, not sure if this means it may be time to get a new pair though, but then my toe nail got me to thinking that I love running. Why?

Well, here's my short list (not including the overall health and wellness benefits) of why it is that I have become addicted to the run - thanks to my sister who, I'm sure, has her own list of loves...

1.  I can experience bloody toes and still be on such a high from the run that I don't care!
2.  It's a great reason to download new songs to my iPod.
3.  When else can you get up, throw on comfy clothes, throw your hair up, skip the makeup, be covered in sweat, and people don't care?
4. It's a great reason to buy cute workout clothes - to wear when you have no makeup and are all sweaty, at least the clothes are cute if you aren't!
5. Getting new shoes is like reaching a goal. 500 miles = new shoes!
6.  I'm starving after a run, and I LOVE to eat! All those protein calories after a run is like a feast for me!
7.  I actually find myself smiling from ear to ear at the end of a run, when I try to kick it into gear, and sprint thru the finish, my body hasn't failed me yet!
8. I love and I will never give up dark chocolate, but I don't feel guilty eating it, because I know I earned it!
9. What better way to see towns you haven't been in before than to run over their bridges and trails to take in the scenery.
10. It's the only sport where there is always more... a football game is always 4 quarters, but a run, well let's try a 10k, then a 1/2, then a full 26.2 marathon, then an ultra, maybe a tri... there is always more! How much do you really want to push yourself?

What makes you run?

Happy Running!

No comments: