Well, in the face of looking for a new job, or even a new career, and on the verge of finishing my bachelor's degree (finally.....), I realized that when I had a Journalism major and a Creative Writing minor about 15 years ago, that the average salaries of journalists in the area should not have scared me away. Granted, while looking online today, those salaries don't seem to have increased much in fifteen years; however, how does one get their foot in the door without that degree and that dirt poor salary experience?
It is just a tad frustrating to realize that "what I want to be when I grow up" hasn't really changed in fifteen years. I've always wanted to be a writer, it's just one of those "where do I start" and "how do I get started" issues. I've spent hours, literally, pouring over online sites for the freelance writer, for the children's book writer, and I've purchased books on the same subjects, but there is really TOO MUCH information out there. All the information, books, websites, and blogs just bring up more questions.
So now, with a little faith, a lot of homework, and even more soul searching, I think that when that 60 day letter makes it's way into my hands, that I will spend my paid time off (thanks dear employer for that) figuring out how to get started on doing what I always wanted. Degree in management in hand as a backup, I suppose... But at least I'll finally have it!
In the meantime, my writing as of now, is limited to blogging and writing in my actual hard-copy, Runner's Training Journal. Although I am NOT an organized person, and keeping any sort of records on anything is way out of my range of talents, I WILL keep this journal on running. My sister has made me commit to a half marathon, and the only way to keep myself accountable and on track is by keeping this darn journal....
3 comments:
I hope you're able to find a career in writing. It's so awesome when you can work doing what you love. They say it doesn't feel like work then. :D Can you find any mentors to work with and they might be able to help you land the right writing job/position/career? Good luck!
Sounds like you're on the right track. At least you know what you want, and all you have to do now is work towards that goal. I still don't know what I want to do...and I sometimes wonder if I ever really will! Good luck!!
Hooray to you!!!! And I so have to follow this journey of yours because one day I hope to see my name up in print....I STRONGLY suggest you attend a writer's conference. I will be sending you a link.......
Post a Comment