Since my true passion has always been children's literature, I loved this quote, which I found on her blog...
"No book is worth reading at the age of 10 which is not equally & often far more worth reading at age 50 & beyond"— C.S. Lewis
I would agree with this quote, as most of my favorite books, the books I can quote and remember, are children's books. Maybe that is just because after having three kids that I've read a few of them hundreds of times each, but nonetheless, they are memorable. And part of me wishes I had little babies to keep reading them too. Remember "Love You Forever"... my oldest loved that book, and we used to read it ALL the time, and I read it to the other two kids as well, but now, who do I read a book to about a mother climbing into her grown son's window and rocking him to sleep?
I also found the below link, which I did remember most of the information from a class in children's literature that I took at WMU "fourscore and seven years ago"... or something like that, maybe eon's ago would be better, simply said a LONG time ago, when I thought for sure I'd be writing for a living, I had a class... Anyway, it was good to reread a lot of the information on the facts of the actual book construction itself of a children's book. http://editorialanonymous.blogspot.com/2008/10/basic-book-construction.html
A better question, why am I blogging this stuff? Well, for me, I am a very unorganized individual. Yes, I admit, that I have never, ever in my life been able to stay on an organized "plan" for anything. I start books, and journals, planners, etc... but unless I hold myself accountable through some other means, it all just disappears. Those planners become lost beneath a pile of clutter, usually "stuff" that needs to be added to the planner, the planner then ceases to have a pen touch it's fine surface after a few weeks and remains blank for the remainder of the year... Bad, I know. Very, very bad... Like running, I have my sister to make me accountable. I tell her I want to run, she sends me a training plan, and she holds me too it. So for writing, well, I'm trying to be organized and maybe by blogging the links I find, it will help to at least be able to find them in the future!
So there they are, my baby steps into the grand adventure of figuring out what I want to be when I grow up....
1 comment:
Hi Val,
Thanks for the link! Found it via Google alerts. Glad you found my site useful. Feel free to check back about once a week give or take for new stuff.
Also, yes blogging can be a type of accountability. If you say you're going to post at a particular frequency, your readers come to expect it and some will check up on you if you miss too much :-).
Your idea of having someone keep you accountable is also a good one, whether it's for number of words or completing a particular task (research on a topic etc.) It's also good that you at least recognize you need help in the area of organization-one step closer to being better at it.
I wish you progress on both fronts-writing and organizing in 2010!
Post a Comment