My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Thursday, January 28, 2010

Step Two: More Info and Sanity...

Finding information on writing and getting published is definitely not hard in this day and age of overwhelming technology. There is more information out there than I can even begin to process, or have the time to process. I could sit here for hours and read and read and find more and more information, and then whammo, my friend Denise (see her blog Life With Four Boys), sends me an amazing blog by Michael Hyatt, CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers, and it has even more information. What I LOVE about this blog, was the post she sent me... http://michaelhyatt.com/2010/01/six-keys-to-achieving-big-goals.html (Mr Hyatt's blog hit home by touching on - doing hard things, running a half marathon (which I have committed to do this year with my sister), and writing (my current passion and stressor) all of which have been in my blog and on my mind as of recently).

So besides searching for information, I realized that once people know what you want, they will also help you find information that you need. They will also send you that very needed word of encouragement just when you think you've jumped from normalcy into the back of a wagon headed to Crazy Town with a quick stop in Never-Neverland. I have to thank my good friends Cheryl and Kari for making me realize I am NOT CRAZY....

I think my next step, thanks again Denise, is going to be signing up for a writer's conference. However, I do have to share that Denise told me to take copy of my book and business cards, and of course my response to her is "what business cards?" The idea absolutely terrified and horrified me to my very bones... I'm seriously supposed to have a business card (not sure why that scared me more than the BOOK)? I think I am in way over my head and buried in the deepest depths of the quicksands of overachieving... I told Denise I would make up some business cards alright, and they are going to say:

Valerie Slaughter
Unpublished with Big Dreams

3 comments:

Denise said...

Exceptionally sweet of you, it's just what I have learned in the past year that I have sent on to you yesterday!

If you make up those business cards, you will be sure to be memorable....

Angela V. said...

I love the business card idea! It will be memorable for sure, and that is your goal, right?!

ValAnn said...

Very true on being memorable... I can't wait to see your cards Denise!