My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Friday, April 16, 2010

Time to Reflect...

So I had tears in my coffee this morning. It wasn't from the lack of sleep, getting up at 5:30 to run 10 miles, or the 10 mile run itself. They were "good" tears. The "good" kind you get from those inspirational moments that really make you stop, reflect, and think about your own life. I was reading this blog: What Have You Got to Complain About - if you have time you should definitely read and watch the video.

What do I have to complain about? I thought, prior to watching this video, that my grumblings of receiving my 60 day letter within the next 30 days, and facing my office relocating out of state, was justified. I thought whining about my sore knees after running 10 miles was justified. I thought that complaining about my son having knee problems was justified; and, I thought venting about my crazy busy life was justified as well.

However, after watching this video. I have not a single complaint about my life.

God has given me a job that gave us a full YEAR's notice that our office was moving. They didn't walk in unannounced and start handing out termination letters. And, in this state of economic upheaval, myself and my husband have had steady jobs this whole time. When I do get my 60 day letter, I also get a severance package that will allow me to be at home with the kids this summer if I choose.

God has also blessed me with athletic genes. I took up running at age 33. At age 35, I will have worked my way up to my first 1/2 marathon in just 16 days from now. The fact that I have knees that still work, legs that can run, and a body that keeps up with it all is a blessing in itself. God has also blessed us with this little brown pill called ibuprofen, and these handy little plastic baggies that hold a substance called ICE. I have no reason to complain about a little knee pain.

God has blessed me with three beautiful, smart, intelligent, athletic kids. They have all kept 4.0's, they are all athletic, they are all well-behaved, and they are all HEALTHY. Having a minor knee problem at age 13 is an inconvenience for my son who really might be doing three sports at once during any given season. But, he is capable, refer to the ibuprofen and ice in the paragraph above, of pushing through the pain. So even though this knee problem won't go away until he stops growing, at least he can continue to do the sports he loves. He also has no complaints, and even though he hardly ever mentions it (we have to force those little brown pills down his throat when he's limping around), if he was to complain. I would refer him to the video above, even though I already made them watch it this morning.

Finally, God has blessed me with a husband and family that are incredibly active. I myself take on hobbies that I probably don't have time for - just like running for 90 minutes, or my weekend scrapbook adventure this weekend, on top of 2 soccer games and a wrestling and track meet.... Yeah, life is crazy, life is hectic, but God has blessed us with time, money, friends, family, and the ability to juggle it all.

I know we've all heard it before, "Count Your Blessings," but this morning. After being monumentally inspired by this video, I have thanked God again for the Blessings in my life, and there are so many that I cannot even count them all. Have you counted your blessings today?

1 comment:

Angela V. said...

Sometimes we all need a good reality check. We've been dealt some interesting stuff in our family recently, but I realize that we too are very fortunate. Mostly fortunate to have eachother.