Only 5 days until my first 1/2 marathon at the Flying Pig in Cincinnati! I received my confirmation email and bib number - 17686. I'm so excited it's crazy! I never, ever thought that running 13.1 miles would do anything other than make me say "he!! NO!" But here I am, five days out and obsessed with that 13.1 miles that is waiting for me. My nerves are still on edge, although I do think I've brought them down a few notches. My sister keeps giving me pointers, and I've been reading reports of some people that finished the Borgess 1/2 this past weekend. Where there's a will there's a way, right?
I did miss my last long run before the Pig this past weekend though. I had planned it for Sunday as Saturdays are full of soccer games for us, and then on Sunday it stormed for most of the day. I did get a little indoor core workout in, but not my last long run. Oh well... if I wasn't ready before that run, then it's kind of too late anyway! I did run a good 5 miles this morning a t 9 minute pace, and will finish up another couple short and sweet runs before the end of the week.
My new worry is the race week diet! I'm trying to follow one that I found online, but this "dieting" thing is all new to me! Oh well, if nothing else, I'll stick to eating "healthy" all week, and just filling up on some good old-fashioned pasta the two days before. Not going to worry... my new motto for the week. I'm just going to keep looking forward, and in doing so, I'm going to enjoy contemplating the next decision before me. The deadline for the early discounted registration for the GR Marathon in October, is May 15th. My sister is running the full marathon at that one, and she thinks I can be ready, too. I have a couple weeks after finishing the Pig, to evaluate my body's reaction to 13.1 miles to see if doubling that is something I want to do. Or, do I want to keep training for 1/2's (if I find it as enjoyable as my enthusiasm leads me to believe that I will - craziness again that 13.1 miles is sounding enjoyable). I think I've gone over the edge!
Ah well. If looking forward to 13.1 miles means that I am really a "runner", then so be it. I've definitely been called worse things in my life. However, I do think I owe my sister an apology for telling her she must be crazy when she started running her first marathons!
No comments:
Post a Comment