My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Countdown to the Flying Pig

I have 11 days until I will attempt my first ever half marathon... I'm literally "running out of time" in my training schedule. I'm thinking of all the workouts I didn't squeeze in, all the weights I didn't lift, the hills I didn't run, did I do enough core work? Is it like a test? Do you think you can "cram" for a 13 mile run?? I'm telling myself that I'm over thinking it all, but it doesn't help that the "nerves" and "butterflies" have set in so far ahead of the actual run.

I have to stay at a different hotel than my sister, who I'm running with (she is in charge of dragging me over the finish line in the event that I pass out, need to crawl, trip and fall and land on my face, etc...) and I'm worried about getting over the bridge (my hotel will be in Kentucky) and to the race and finding her somewhere near the starting point at 6 in the morning. I don't really want to carry my cell phone, but I want to make sure I find my motivational, strength, pacer, and support partner for this event! I also have a friend riding with me and need to find her at the finish line.

And then there's the matter of my shoes. I went 2 weeks ago to get new ones because my old ones were giving me black toe nails, this started happening after my training had led me beyond the 10 mile run mark. I figured a month to break them in would be plenty of time. However, I let the sales lady "convince" me that the Asics fit my high arches better and made me run "more neutral" than the Saucony brand that I had been wearing (with no problems other than the black toe nails, and that was only after 10 mile runs - anywhoo...). I HATED them. I returned the first pair for a second pair, different style, and still hated them. Went yesterday and exchanged them again for the Saucony ProGrid Ride 2, but I just wore them today for a 6 miler... Do I keep wearing them for the next 10 days and for the half? Or should I just play it safe with my old ones? The toe nail is already black at this point...

There are issues of "Race Etiquette," which I really know very little about since I've ran one 10k. I do know to step towards the right when someone yells "on your left." But there seems to be a whole slew of race jargon and rules that I don't know about. I need to find the book, "Running a 1/2 Marathon for Dummies"... I would buy that. Do you think they make signs that say "newbie - I apologize in advance for breaking any race rule that I claim to not be aware of" to stick on your back? I'd buy one of those, too!

Then there are the little things. Like what to wear? I need an outfit with enough pockets to hold my ipod, my sportbeans, maybe my cell phone. If it's a bit chilly I can wear my jacket and I'll be good, if it gets to warm, the jacket will be out of the question. I could unzip the sleeves of the jacket, but then the zipper rubs on my armpit and causes a great deal of discomfort. Maybe I should just buy a vest so I don't have to worry about zippers on the arms. Should I by a hat? A visor? I don't really like running with sunglasses - I sweat way too much. I'll probably pack like I'm going for a week, for one little run. Gloves, hat, pants, long-sleeved shirt and jacket in case it's chilly at 6:30 am. Shorts, tank, vest, in case it's warm. Then there will be the in-between layers. Short sleeved shirt over the tank? How many layers will I feel like stripping off? Just wear the minimum and hope it warms up quick? So many decisions... and I'm running out of time!

1 comment:

Angela V. said...

Good luck with your race! Can't wait to hear about it!