And the floods came up... the rains came down and the floods came up... That song from childhood Sunday school days is HAUNTING me right now. My peaceful Rainy Sunday became a night mare!
Shortly after 6pm, my laptop decided to make this very loud "whirring" noise, so loud you couldn't hear the tv over it. This is the laptop that has spent about 6 weeks with the geek squad because it's still under warranty, and tomorrow it will be going for another visit and I'm about ready for a brand new laptop... Then, Jessi was going to help with dishes while I re-did all the wrestling stats on my work laptop, and she busted a glass, which isn't a big deal, but I had to tell her to leave the rest of the dishes until I had time to get the glass out of the sink, etc...
Then, my kids noticed that the floor at the bottom of the basement stairs was wet. So I went out side and made sure the downspouts were firmly attached to the gutters and I made note of the enormous amount of standing water all around our house. Later however, we went to pick up the couple of towels I had put at the bottom of the stairs and noticed that the wet area had quadrupled in size. So, I went for further inspection and our room that isn't carpeted had standing water, and the rest of our basement (which is all finished) now has about 7 areas that are soaked all along the perimeter of the walls. My dad brought over his shop vac and I sucked up about 25 gallons between his shop vac and mine, while he and my hubby went for a walk to figure out what was/wasn't draining. They said it looked like it, rain, gutters, etc, were draining out into the field like they're supposed to, but obviously not fast enough.
At this point, I've used EVERY dry towel in my house, beach towels, bath towels, you name it. We've soaked them till we couldn't hardly carry them up the stairs, rung them out in the tubs and threw them in the dryer and now they are taking FOREVER to dry! I need to soak up some more, but I have no more towels... AH! I can't imagine dealing with a flood like those in hurricane territory dealt with. Mine really isn't nothing compared to how bad others have been, but I'm already thinking of screaming. Instead, I rolled up my pantlegs, pulled off the wet socks, and dug in. Of course it stinks that now the kids are in bed, Darrell had to go to work, and I'm just waiting for towels to dry to start over again. I guess it's time to start using the shop vac and see how much I can soak out of the carpets...
So while I did get the broken glass taken care of, the laptop needs to go to the dr's office, the dishes still aren't done, my towels are still drying and here I sit, venting the best way I know how. So now, off I go, I'm headed to the coffee pot to fuel up for a long night of water extraction! And will just keep thinking, it's better than shoveling snow, it's better than shoveling snow, it's better than... Ok, you get the point. But, I have to repeat it, or the frustration will settle in, and I don't work well with frustration. So positive I will be, because it's better than shoveling snow, it's better than shoveling snow..... :-)
2 comments:
AWWW hugs! What a pain to have to deal with flooding, computer, and the broken glass. Kudos for trying to remain positive through it all! I'm ready for some dry weather too.
Oh man, sounds like you had a rough weekend. Once you get the computer fixed and the water out of the house, you need to go get a massage or something! Good Luck!
Post a Comment