Oh my, it really amazes me how completely dependent I have become to this little handheld electronic device that really holds and organizes my ENTIRE life!! I have a nice little palm phone and I have word documents, my calendar, my photos, my music, my entire address book including not just phone numbers, but addresses, emails, points of interests, etc... I quit keeping a written address book. And now, now my phone has DIED. She literally stuck her little digital tongue out at me and I could hear the slight sounds of wimpering as she faded completely from this world right in my hands, in front of my tearfilled eyes. I couldn't bring her back to life no matter how many times I took out and replaced the battery or plugged her into the charger. I talked to her, I tried coaxing her, I cussed her out and felt like throwing her.
It was only after five tries at getting a hold of the local phone doctor and surgeon, and after leaving two messages that I threw my coat and boots back on and was headed out in a snowstorm, and I was five miles down the road in a complete state of panic when I realized... she isn't a child. I really didn't need to panic and rush her to the Cell Phone Emergency Room. Did I? I was torn, was this really an emergency worth braving this crazy weather for? I would call another cell phone addict to discuss but all of my numbers are now lost to me... What if the doctor couldn't bring her back to life?? What if I lost all the time and energy I spent storing all that information, and the photos I took would they be gone forever? My crazy dependency on her was unravelling before my very eyes.
I finally made it to the cell phone guru, who politely looked at her, gave her the once over and said, "I am so sorry ma'am, but there is really nothing we can do for her." Nothing! All this technology and nothing capable of fixing her. I really don't want a new one, it is covered under warranty, but what about all my info?!
So here I am, debating if it is worth ANOTHER trip in a snowstorm to the other phone dealer who could at least give me a "loaner" phone until the replacement arrives in the mail. Logic is trying to tell me that I will survive one night until I am in town tomorrow morning anyway to pick up this new "loaner". Not sure yet if logic will win... it's only been 4 hours and I'm already sensing sign of serious withdrawal. I keep thinking I hear her sweet melody town ringing just for me, or that polite little chirp with a new incoming text... But in reality there is nothing...
Ahh, I have really lost my mind, literally, since most of my knowledge was stored inside of my baby, and who in 2 - 5 days will be politely replaced by another who will try to fill her shoes and meet my overwhelming dependency... :-)
1 comment:
omg! i totally know EXACTLY how you feel. i may even be worse. i can NOT walk out of the door with my not one (here comes the worse part), but TWO cell phones. i'm a sahm, what the heck do i need TWO cell phones for?!?!?
but, yes, i have empathy with rushing to the cell phone doctor and panicing at the loss of something so near and dear to you.
weird. if a person would have said 15 years ago that we would all be totally attached to these little mobil telephones that make us accessible anywhere and everywhere we go, we would have laughed. now that i look back on it, i've had a cell phone for the past 14years now. it wasnt so bad in the early years, but, now, wow.
btw, i stalked you over from scrapbook.com. i've enjoyed checking out your LOs & now your blog. keep it up lady!
Post a Comment