My Motto

My motto: Life shouldn't be easy. Challenge yourself. Go out and do something HARD! Push yourself out of your ordinary boundaries, and stretch your abilities to your wildest imaginings.






Tuesday, August 25, 2009

To Jessi...

Jessi,

I turned around the other day and you were just a room away,
content to sit on the floor and play, toys strewn all about you.

Yesterday, I turned again, and on the floor were you and your friend,
laughing and chatting on the cell with friends, no longer my little girl.

Today I glimpsed the turning tide, when I saw you in the mirror,
but it was a reflection of me, not a girl, but a young woman was there.

Tomorrow I know I'll look again, and see you moving on,
a boyfriend, a car, then college, a woman living life and making it her own.

Somewhere down the road I know, you'll be a wife and mom,
until then, I'll treasure every moment spent, with you my little girl.

~ V. Slaughter ~

4 comments:

Angela V. said...

Val this is really sweet. I got a little teary about your post yesterday. I couldn't help but think about my own children and how fortunate I am to have them. I am a truly blessed mom, and I am thankful for my kids every day. Thanks for the reminder.

Valerie said...

Hi ValAnn.

I saw your comment and just had to drop by. I just finished reading your post about Lifesaver. How scary!!! What quick thinking on behalf of your daughter. I'm not sure that I would have reacted the same way at her age!!!

It is so hard not to dwell on the "what-ifs" of life and circumstances. I completely understand where you're coming from.

Sadly enough, an open forum, published by a St. Louis media outlet published a story about the accident and was open for comments. I was APPALLED at the number of people who participated in name-calling, finger-pointing, and all sorts of inflammatory language as they judged the "parenting" ability of my classmate.

Karen will forever be scarred by the loss of her first-born son. She will relive that day over and over contemplating her own "what-ifs".

So sorry to read about all the other losses in your small town, as well! What tragedies for all of these families. Life is so short and precious. No one knows when God will call them home.

Blessings to you, your family, and especially your sweet "lifesaver",
Valerie

*reyanna* said...

Awww... what a sweet post. They grow up so fast...

Denise said...

This made me teary eyed! So sweet and sad and sweet all at once!