Tonight was quiet and relaxing. I had a lovely, peaceful two hours to myself after work when my daughter left for a friend's house, my youngest was at his aunt's after Y camp, and my husband took my oldest son to soccer practice. I can't even remember the last time I was home all alone.
And while it was very nice and peaceful - I got stuff picked up, some extra work done, and one TV show deleted off the tivo box - I think I enjoyed the hours after they got home all the more because of it.
My youngest came home wound up like some crazy kid on a sugar kick straight from Willy Wonka (what in the world does the Y camp feed them when they are there??). He rolled around on the floor laughing insanely at the dog trying to get his rope (my son was of course either laying on it or hiding it somewhere on his person)... It was one of those laughs that just makes you smile, and realize that I wouldn't trade one minute of his laugh for hours and hours of quiet, alone, peaceful serenity.
Then, after my husband left for work, we watched Disney's "Game Plan" on TV. It's such a "feel good" movie, made me cry of course, I'm a baby with any Disney movie. But again, it made me realize that the little bit of quiet that I had earlier, with me actually in charge of the remote, wasn't as great as it felt at the time.
I think I now know why I am constantly busy delving into some other kid sport, function, activity, school work or what not... because, I would rather be busy living any day than sitting by myself "enjoying" quiet time. Because, as it's been said before, there's time to rest when your dead... Right now, I am going to keep on enjoying my crazy busy life, because there is no other way that I would want it.
3 comments:
I know what you mean Val...it is strange...sometimes I wish for peace and quiet, but then when I get it I miss them and something just doesn't feel right.
That's exactly how I felt when we lived in the same city as the boys' father. I couldn't wait til they were gone for their weekend with their dad and then I'd mope around because I had nothing to do! Now that they're both with me again, I wish I had a break. But it's good to be busy...even running to Adrian every night for rehearsal aagghhh!
This is SO true. Every once in a blue moon (which is super rare), I have no boys with me. And when I get back to them or they come home, you appreciate them all so much more. I know exactly what you are talking about!
Post a Comment