Okay, my four year old won a bracelet for me today at our company picnic. And I put it on and guess what it says, "Do More." Huh? Me? Is this some voice telling me to do more? Do they not see the craziness in my life already? What other insane activity could I possibly "do" to take up more of this overwhelming abundance of time they seem to think I have.
Then the conspiracy theory set in... Is this bracelet from my employer? Is it some sort of osmosis that I'll wear it and work harder based on some subliminal, unconscious message? Do they think I'm a slacker and that this is my first clue that I must "do more?"
Well crazy enough, these two little words drove me nuts today! Nuts, I tell you. How can I possibly do more? What is it that I'm missing that needs to be added to my schedule? Do I need to read more (if I could without falling asleep from exhaustion I would)? Do I need to help more? Like helping run our football/cheer program isn't community involvement enough. Or maybe I need to do more housework? More laundry and more dishes, maybe my spring cleaning needs to be done now that it is almost fall?! So this little bracelet (which was such a sweet gift from my dear kiddo) has made me obsessed with what I'm doing. Of course, now, here I sit, typing away, rambling more or less and half watching the Olympics. But anyway, I finally realized what things there are that are pulling at my mind to "do more."
So I will do more, even if I have to figure out how to add more hours to my day. I'll do more, but it's not the cooking and cleaning and work that will be added. I know what I need to do more of, now after obsessing for the last 8 hours. I will do more fun, I will laugh more, and cry more. Sing more and write more. I will play more and love more. I don't need to expand on the areas of my life that are just that, "things." I need to do more of the things that build me up personally - besides, no matter how much I try and cook a chef I will not be! So watch out, my little prize bracelet (won in the duck pond game no less) will drive me forward. I will do more and in turn I expect to have more. More fun, more love and more of the me that I've been missing.
4 comments:
Great blog and great mantra!
Aww... sweet post, Val. :) What a cool bracelet! I guess it's something we could all think more about. Good luck in your doing more journey! :)
Hehe! your post put a smile on my face today. Thanks!
Great blog! I've always thought about doing more myself and as I was reading your blog I was also listening to the McCain speech and he started talking about doing more for the country like volunteering, becoming a teacher, helping others to read, etc and it got me thinking that I've wanted to volunteer for a while so maybe eventually I might just do that. Thanks!
Post a Comment